Thursday, June 15, 2006

Listen, Laugh, Love

"You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry." Psalm 10:17

Don't miss the donut by looking through the hole. -Author Unknown


Sometimes in seeking encouragement we need only find someone who is a good listener. Lori sent me this story:

When we first moved into the apartment we were renting while our house was finished, I was very depressed for the first couple weeks. The place was dirty, cramped, and I missed my house. Then Ron went away and the TV broke. Nothing about our routines was normal, and the kids were adjusting to the changes the only way they knew how - by misbehaving. It just seemed like it was one thing on top of another. During that time, Patty called me every single day just to see how I was and to listen to my growing list of complaints. She just listened. Emotionally speaking, She came and sat in my corner with me. She comiserated with me. That was really all I needed, someone to sympathize with me, not fix anything. I knew she was busy with her own life, yet she cared enough to check in on me and spent the time to listen. That was just the encouragement I needed during that time.

God is an encourager and a listener too. But sometimes we need a human ear as well. Could you be that listener for someone else today?

(Copyright 2006 Karen Robbins)

Blogarama - The Blog Directory