Saturday, June 17, 2006

Extol Another's Accomplishments

I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders." Psalms 9:1

"It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was." ~ Anne Sexton

It's Father's Day. My father is no longer with us but I do remember him each year and am grateful for the love he showered on my brother and me. Dad was a great outdoorsman and we spent hours fishing together, hunting worms for those fishing trips, and once, I was allowed to follow along as the men went hunting. Turned out it wasn't my thing and I couldn't handle a shotgun anyway.

Dad was a good provider, a father who took pride in his children and enjoyed them. But to my knowledge, Dad was not a Christian. We talked about that on occasion and he confirmed in a way that he believed in God but to have a relationship with Jesus was something he would never talk about. Dad was a proud man and it would have been difficult for him to admit he relied on another's help even if it was Jesus. I can only hope that sometime in the quiet solitude of being outdoors watching the fishing line, God tugged on his heart and caught him as His own.

(Copyright 2006 Karen Robbins)

Blogarama - The Blog Directory