Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Make Time to Encourage Another

"I weep with grief; my heart is heavy with sorrow; encourage and cheer me with your words." Psalms 119:28

"Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away. When I am gone, I hope it can be said of me that I plucked a thistle and planted a flower wherever I thought a flower would grow." -Anonymous

If you have ever lost someone close to you, you know what the busyness of a funeral is like. That's not a bad thing. It brings people together, gives the family something to concentrate on those first few days when the reality of the loss is just settling in. But once everyone has gone home, the last of the lunchmeat and ham is eaten, the hole in your life is felt more deeply.

Right now do you know someone who is in that position? Do something positive. Cheer them with a card. Make it a card that doesn't say "sympathy"--they probably have a stack of those. Make it a card that will bring a smile to their face or a note that simply says, "I'm thinking of you." Not only will it lift the receiver, you will feel better for having done it.

(Copyright 2006 Karen Robbins)

Blogarama - The Blog Directory