Friday, July 14, 2006

Extol--Dinner time praise

"Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred." Proverbs 15:17 (NIV)

All great change in America begins at the dinner table. - Ronald Reagan

My husband of 38 years has always encouraged me with the words, "Thanks, hon. That was a good meal," before leaving the dinner table. On occassion, it is just a "Thanks for dinner, hon." Those nights I know he didn't like the new recipe I tried.

My children, my boys especially, were witness to this nightly ritual. My youngest, who is developmentally handicapped, has latched on to it. When he comes home to do his laundry once a week and get a "home-cooked meal," he beats his father to the draw with, "Thanks, Mom. G-g-g-ood d-dinner!" It's always followed by a wide grin.

While I can't be certain, I hope that the other boys have adopted their father's practice. It may seem like ritual but the words still feel good to hear and they encourage a wife and mother.


(Copyright 2006 Karen Robbins)

Blogarama - The Blog Directory