Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Initiative--Take Some

"To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice; someone else may be especially good at studying and teaching, and this is his gift from the same Spirit." 1 Cor 12:8 (TLB)

The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Shelley sent me a story of someone God used to encourage her:

I had some encouragement just this week. I had been asked to do the message part of the prayer meeting at my church this past week. I only had two days to prepare for it and it really wasn't enough. Anyway, I said my piece, was very nervous and felt like I was a total flop. I felt like I had failed in front of about 40 people. I had been told that usually there were only 10-12 people that show up to prayer meeting, so I felt even more pressure.

At the end of it all, one of the church members who is also a pastor and the president of the university I just graduated from, came up to me and told me I did great. He also told me that I have a gift for teaching, which is something that I have been wondering about. You see, I quit my job of 12 years to go back to school at age 33 with the purpose of becoming a teacher. I felt the Lord leading me to do this.

I graduated this past May, but did not get accepted into the B.Ed. program and felt very discouraged. I felt like maybe I heard God wrong, that He wasn't calling me to teach.

When this man told me that I have a gift for teaching, it encouraged me greatly so I am still going to work toward the goal of being a teacher. It just might not happen the way I had thought it would...who knows.

God is in control of things, and I just need to remember that His ways are not my ways and the situation might not happen the way I thought it would.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory