Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Smile--Make Someone's Day

"Jacob said, 'for what a relief it is to see your friendly smile! I was as frightened of you as though approaching God!'" Genesis 33:10 (TLB)

What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humaninty. These are but trifles, to be sure; but, scattered along life's pathway, the good they do is inconceivable. ~ Joseph Addison

As a speaker, I often have to stand in front of a group of people I have never met before and begin to talk. Before I begin, I pause a brief moment and smile as I look over the audience. There are always at least two or three faces in the crowd beaming smiles back at me. They have no idea what I am about to say. They do not know if they will like what I say. They don't know if I will be humorous or serious--if I will make them laugh or cry, but they are smiling at me. Those smiles are the encouragement I need to begin and to put aside the fears of public speaking (even seasoned speakers still have them).

I often wonder if the smilers in the audience know how much courage they give to the speaker. All throughout my talk, I will glance at my smilers. I need that feedback. I need that encouragement that something as simple as a smile gives. Are you a smiler? Who are you encouraging today with a smile?

(Copyright 2006 Karen Robbins)

Blogarama - The Blog Directory