Friday, October 06, 2006

Extol--Praise God

"I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips." Psalms 34:1 (NIV)

God be prais'd, that to believing souls, Gives light in darkness, comfort in despair. ~ William Shakespeare

There was a time when I found it difficult to praise God. My mother had died. Three days later after the funeral, my infant niece began her battle for life, finally succumbing to a liver disease three months later. I struggled to see anything of God in those months of anguish.

When I felt myself hitting bottom, I sat down, paper and pencil in hand to prove that God had deserted us. To my amazement, I found He'd been there all along. One of the most profound examples was that my brother needed exactly $140,000 to secure a place for his daughter on a waiting list for transplants (insurance could not guarantee payment). It had to be cash or something readily converted to cash.

As we struggled through settling my mother's estate, we found two CD's that Dad had invested in. They were easily able to convert to cash and totaled exactly $140,000.

There were other things on my list, great and small. When I was done, in the midst of heartbreak, I was still able to say, "Thank you, Lord, for carrying me through the sand. I see now that lone set of footprints are yours."

(©2006 Karen Robbins)

Blogarama - The Blog Directory