Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Extol--Food for encouragement

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in..." Matthew 25:35 (NIV)

Strangers are just family you have yet to come to know. ~ MitchAlbom, The Five People You Meet in Heaven

The men reading this post may not understand this so well but it's very important to a woman that a public restroom be very clean. Women have been known not to return to a restaurant or store simply because the restroom was deplorable. The mall that I frequent has beautifully kept restrooms and I always wonder if the management appreciates the employees who keep them spic and span.

One day I happened to be on my way out of the restroom when an employee came in pushing a cleaning cart. I smiled at her, threw my paper towel in the waste can and started to exit. Something inside me made me turn around and go back. She needed to know that she was appreciated. Would anyone else tell her?

"I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful job you do here." She looked at me in surprise, her mouth agape. When she didn't respond verbally I added, "I really appreciate the clean restrooms. Thank you."

She nodded her mouth still open. I smiled again and left. Sadly, I don't think anyone had ever told her that before. I hope it encouraged her.

(Copyright 2006 Karen Robbins)

Blogarama - The Blog Directory