Saturday, July 22, 2006

Make time--for such a time as this

"... And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?" Esther 4:14 (NIV)

Strangers are just family you have yet to come to know. ~ Mitch Albom, The Five People You Meet in Heaven

When our five children were young we made quite a stir in a restaurant. It wasn't that they misbehaved (they weren't perfect but they kept themselves under control). It was just that there were seven of us all together and, of course the kids looked like doorsteps.

We always went out for dinner on Sunday. It was my day off from cooking and I never could get the hang of putting a roast in the oven and having it perfectly timed to be done after church. On several occassions when the kids were really good and we were interacting like a family from one of the perfect family sitcoms from the fifties, we had people come by our table, lean over and whisper how lovely our family was.

Raising children no matter how many you have, is not an easy job. Unfortunately most of us don't realize that until it's too late. We can get pretty frazzled, feel like failures, and wonder about our sanity. I treasured those strangers who were placed in my path and went out of their way to encourage me. I now try to do the same when I see a mom with kids. I figure God places me in their path--for such a time as this.

(Copyright 2006 Karen Robbins)

Blogarama - The Blog Directory