Friday, October 27, 2006

Initiate--Contact with God

"I am leaving you with a gift--peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn't like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid." John 14:27 (NLT)

Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake. ~ Victor Hugo

Devotional time (time spent reading my Bible) escapes me faster than Houdini in handcuffs. If I do not sit down immediately and open my Bible in the morning, I will, despite all good intentions, not get to it. It's sad really because that's where I feel most in contact with God.

This morning I read chapter 14 of John. I must admit, I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention until the word gift hit me (see v. 27). It was as if God were standing there holding out a package wrapped in pretty paper with a bow on top. I stopped, thought for a moment and then proceeded to unwrap the gift by reading on. Wow. What a gift it was: peace of mind and heart. But, wait. There was more.

As if there were a gift within a gift, when I got to the end of the chapter, I found this: "Come, let's be going." An invitation. Jesus wanted me to walk with him today--to be by his side. A gift of companionship: contact with Him.

©2006 Karen Robbins

Blogarama - The Blog Directory