Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Smile--from a stranger

"Keep a smile on your face." Romans 12:8 (MSG)

"A smile is the number one feature that makes people attractive. It's a welcome mat." ~John Kinde

I was crossing the parking lot headed into a store in the strip mall and going over my agenda in my head: pick up one more gift, remember to get more tape and gift wrap, and be home in time to start dinner. As I hustled through the chill and drew my coat closer to my neck, I happened to look up from the pavement in time to see a lady coming toward me the other direction. I didn't recognize her. I didn't know her, of that I am certain, but she beamed a wonderful welcoming smile at me. I instantly responded (how could I not) with a smile of my own--one that I felt generate from my heart. It was a reflection of the one she gave me.

That was before Christmas and two months later I am still remembering that smile. It was so unusual. It was not the embarrassed smile of someone who had crossed my path and felt she was in my way. It was not the smile of someone who remembered me and was going to say "hello." Still, it was a smile that instantly made me connect with her somehow, that lifted my spirit, that lingers today.

Ahh! I know. With that smile she passed along joy. That's what has stuck with me even now.

Blogarama - The Blog Directory